headerimage
Home | Contact Us

William Morris
1834 - 1896

Windows:

David
Isaiah
Boaz and Ruth
Mary of Bethany

Burne-Jones

Sir Edward
Burne-Jones

1833 - 1898

Windows:

The Annunciation

Moses, Melchizedek and Aaron

Daniel and Ezekiel

Virgin and Child

Mary the Virgin

Saints Peter and Paul

Saints Dorothea and Theophilus

Designs:

The East Wall

The 1872 Mission Window: Isaiah, Daniel and Ezekial

The easternmost window on the north aisle shows Isaiah (by Morris), Daniel and Ezekiel (by Burne-Jones). Isaiah holds a banner with the words: For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given
. (Ch9 6-7), while Ezekial carries a shield showing the vision he had when he received his call from God. (He sees the God as a kind of chariot that moves on four creatures, each having a human form, two pairs of wings, a head with four faces - a man, an eagle, a lion and an ox.)

It was commissioned by Miss Mary Craven  as a thank-offering for the success of the 1872 mission in St. Martin's parish. Early in that year a sustained mission effort was made which led to a very pleasing increase in church attendance.

A St. Martin's Guild (for ladies and gentlemen) was founded to consolidate the effort. The Guild came under virulent local attack from evangelical Anglians as a popish quasi-monastic organisation, tainted by Masonic oaths and secrecy. The vicar, Henning-Parr, defended it just as stoutly as his decision not to charge pew rents.

Missionary Window Ezekiel Ezekiel Daniel Tracery Isaiah

The Daniel figure is thought to have been modelled on Rossetti's friend, the poet A.C. Swinburne whose lower lip was twisted by a dog bite he received as a boy.

The centre of the tracery glass shows one of Daniel's lions, and the text, Thy God whom thou servest continually, he will deliver thee (Daniel 6, 16), was spoken by King Darius as he threw Daniel into the lions'  den.

left hand dedicationright hand dedication

 

 

 


The dedications which appears beneath Isaiah and Ezekiel read: "A thank offering for God's blessing on the mission in St Martins 1872 by Mary Craven"