Although all the chancel windows were restored in 2005, the St. Matthew symbol window in the chancel was not because it is mostly hidden from view by the organ. The photos of it appearing here were taken from the scaffolding errected around the east window during the restoration. Unfortunately we do not have a copy of Webb's cartoon for St. Matthew's symbol, and have not been able to trace one so far.
Nevertheless, our research has led to the discovery of a very similar window, again designed by Webb, which also give some insight into how the pre-Raphaelite artists recycled their designs.
Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Company, founded in April 1861, made a spectacular beginning with three major schemes for stained glass in new churches by the architect George Frederick Bodley, including St. Michael's, Brighton, At All Saints, Selsley, near Stroud in Gloucestershire (1862) and St. Martin's, Scarborough in 1863.
The quatrefoil emblems of the evangelists (left) were designed
by Webb for the firm’s first full
church commission at All Saints, Selsley, Gloucestershire. in 1862.
It was the custom of all the main mid-Victorian glass studios to reuse existing cartoons in designs for new windows, and three of Webb's designs for Selsley were reused at St. Andrew’s Church, Stratton, Cornwall. The Chancel East window at Stratton (right) was inserted in 1874, which was the last year of the old firm of Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co. In the following year the firm was dissolved and became Morris & Co.
A comparison of the Evangelists' symbols is shown below left, while the detail of similarity between the Matthew symbols from St Martin's Church and St Andrew's is below right. It would appear that Philip Webb used three of his deigns from Selsley and (fortunately for us) the design from St. Martin's to carry out his commission at St. Andrew's.