headerimage
Home | Contact Us

William Morris
1834 - 1896
Windows:
David
Isaiah
Boaz and Ruth
Mary of Bethany
Mary Magdalene
Designs:
The Pulpit
The East Wall


side image

Sir Edward
Burne-Jones

1833 - 1898
Windows:
The Annunciation
Moses, Melchizedek and Aaron
Daniel and Ezekiel
Virgin and Child
Mary the Virgin
Saints Peter, Paul and Stephen
Saints Dorothea and Theophilus
Designs:
The East Wall

George Campfield
Windows:
Hezekiah and Josiah
Paintings:
The Pulpit

The East Wall, Reredos and Altar

The East Wall The East Wall Central Panel

The original design of the East Wall was by Bodley, and it was paid for by Miss Mary Craven. The blank tracery is early English Decorated in inspiration, but not modelled on the tracery of Kirkham Priory (Yorkshire) as has been suggested.

The four archangels in the north and south panels and the angels in the central panels were painted by George Campfield to designs by William Morris.

The central panel of the Adoration of the Magi was also painted by George Campfield, but this time to designs by Burne-Jones.

The work was painted and repainted between 1863 and 1865, but had so far deteriorated by 1889 as to need restoration by Thomas Farren. The tracery was again retored in 1973.

The wall possesses a rich symbolism with red pomegranate flowers and yellow narcissi both symbolising the resurrection, and the pelican on the central gable (seen "in its piety" feeding its young with its own blood) representing the sacrifice of Christ.

The whole east wall and window proclaims redemption through Christ's incarnation and blood, and it answers the theme of the west windows, which depict Adam and Eve, whose fall made redemption necessary, and the promise represented by the Annunciation.

The East Wall The Reredos The East Wall

The Reredos and Altar

A reredos is an ornamental screen covering the wall at the back of the altar, and this was added in 1890 to a design by Bodley. The central panels are in bas relief and were executed by the firm of Farrer and Brindley. The central Annunciation is flanked by two early bishops of York, Wilfred (left) and Paulinus (right). Winged panels feature six archangels and give it the air of a triptych.

This, together with the classical altar, replaced an earlier plain altar table which is now in the church of St. Michael at Wheatcroft, at the south end of the parish.

St. Martin's has a rich collection of altar frontals; the most famous of them, the "red frontal" is though to be the work of William Morris's wife, Jane.